Saturday, April 5, 2014

Aix en Provence, France

In my junior year of college 1973-74 I lived in Aix en Provence, in the South of France near the coast. The goal was to receive credit for art history classes and painting, as I was an art major, but what I really learned was how to live away from home in the real world. I shared a studio apartment with another student from the states I met in Aix and we lived on a few Francs a day so we could to travel to Morocco, Spain, England and Greece. It was a magical time!

Today I went back to Aix with Christy and Ian and I found my old school, Institute for American Universities, and enjoyed the markets and lively streets that have been in the old town for hundreds of years.


The main fountain on Cours Mirabeau, the popular tree lined avenue in Aix en Provence.

Just another fountain in town, there are many.

Today was market day, produce and flowers.

Lots of activity getting ready for spring planting.

Over looking the flower market.




Loved her red glasses.


Lunch was outside with many other locals enjoying this beautiful day.

The outside of the church...


Inside was beautiful, too.


We ate lunch just outside these doors in the courtyard.

Aix is a college town with many universities and students, a fun place to be.

You may recognize one of the young men in this image….

Spring in the air.


Me in front of the door to my old school. The motorcycle is not mine, and when I lived here we all got around town on foot and had to make plans to meet verbally in person, no cell phone, no texting and no land line phones either! Nearly medieval...


No comments:

Post a Comment